Did you know that the Officers of the Creekside HOA (President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer) are elected to one-year terms? And did you know that the Directors are elected to three-year terms that are staggered so that there is always at least one vacancy each year?
If you feel passionately about what the HOA should be doing or how things should be done, this is your opportunity! Volunteers are needed for Officer and Director positions.
The Officers of the HOA (President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer) are volunteers elected to one-year terms. The President and Vice President must (per the Bylaws) also be Directors, but the Secretary and Treasurer must only be homeowners. What does each of these Officers do?
- PRESIDENT – The President shall have all of the general powers and duties which are incident to the office of president of a Colorado nonprofit corporation. Specifically, the President shall have the power to preside at all meetings of the Board of Directors and of the Members; appoint committees; see that orders and resolutions of the Board are carried out; sign contracts, leases and other written instruments; direct, supervise, coordinate and have general control over the day-to-day affairs of the Association. This position requires on average of six (6) hours of effort per week. Experience with parliamentary procedure and business communication is helpful.
- VICE PRESIDENT – The Vice President shall take the place of the president and perform the president’s duties whenever the president is absent or unable to act. If neither the President nor the Vice President is able to act, the Board of Directors shall appoint some other Director to act in the place of the President on an interim basis. The Vice President shall also perform other duties imposed by the Board of Directors or by the President. This position requires an average of two (2) hours of effort per week. Experience with parliamentary procedure and business communication is essential.
- SECRETARY – The Secretary shall record the votes and maintain the minutes of all meetings and proceedings of the Board and of the Members; serve notice of meetings of the Board and of the Members; keep appropriate current records showing the Members of the Association together with their addresses; cause Association records to be kept and maintained; and perform such other duties incident to the office of secretary or as required by the Board. The Secretary is also responsible for maintaining the website. This position requires an average of six (6) hours of effort per week. Experience with business communication and basic web design (WordPress) experience is essential.
- TREASURER – The Treasurer shall be responsible for the receipt, deposit and disbursement of Association funds and securities and for maintenance of full and accurate financial records; shall prepare an annual budget and a statement of income and expenditures to be presented to the membership, and deliver a copy of each to the Members. The Treasurer shall perform all duties incident to the office of Treasurer and such other duties as may be assigned by the Board of Directors. This position requires an average of four (4) hours of effort per week. Experience with bookkeeping is helpful but not essential.
The Creekside HOA Board of Directors consists of five (5) volunteer Directors, two of whom are also the President and Vice-President. Directors are elected to three-year terms that are staggered to ensure that at least once vacancy is available each year. What does a Director do?
- DIRECTOR – The Board may act in all instances on behalf of the Association, except as provided in the Governing Documents or the Act. The Board shall have, subject to the limitations contained in the Declaration and the Act, the powers and duties necessary for the administration of the affairs of the Association and of the Community, and for the operation and maintenance of the Community as a first class residential community, including the powers and duties specified in Section 7.1 of the bylaws. In simplest terms, a Director of the HOA is responsible for approving management decisions proposed by the Officers. Additionally, the Directors have sole authority to vote to implement policies, rules and regulations, and impose fines. The Board of Directors meets approximately once monthly with frequent email communication. This position requires an average of two (2) hours per week. Experience with parliamentary procedure and/or experience working as part of an HOA is helpful but not essential. The most important attribute for a Director is an ability to understand the Articles, Bylaws, and Covenants, and a desire to work with other homeowners to preserve the quality of the Creekside neighborhood.
Want to nominate yourself or a neighbor for one of the above positions? Send us a note!